Trinity is Church Friendly and Church Beautiful in Spirit that is an inspired family of Christian believers who witness to and minister to the community and the world.
Please check back for some inspirational words from Pastor Denise Anders-Modest and the Trinity Church family.
Trinity Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, Memphis, Tennessee, was founded in 1902, under the capable administration of Presiding Elder J. S. Smothers and Bishop C. H. Phillips. The church was organized in Mr. Daniel Simon’s home. The members bargained to buy a piece of property at 1205 Manassas Street next door to the little Manassas School. The property was purchased from Mr. Spencer Johnson, and his daughter, Mrs. Laura Johnson Byas, suggested the name Trinity.
During its 100 year history, Trinity has erected four houses of worship to the glory of God. The first church building was destroyed by fire in 1917. In 1918 Trinity relocated to 650 Wells Avenue (formerly Maple Avenue). During the interim, the congregation worshiped in a store on the northeast corner of Thomas and Wells. A brick edifice was erected on Wells Avenue during the pastorate of Rev. C. A. Craig. The building served its purpose well until 1944. The walls of the building began to separate and the top was caving in. Thus, the building (the first of two buildings built on Wells Avenue) was demolished.
In 1962 during the leadership of Rev. P. Gonya Hentrel, property at 656 Wells was purchased. For many years the property served as rental property and was later demolished and used for parking. Also during the same period, several home owners on Tully Street were contacted by the pastor and church officials. Several of the residents agreed to sell a portion of their land to Trinity. The land was paved and provided parking for many years.
In 1979 during the leadership of Rev. Paul Fowlkes, property facing Thomas Street
(195` x 200`) was purchased.
In 1992 during the leadership of Dr. John H. Robinson three parcels of land facing Thomas Street were purchased.
In 2014 during the leadership of Rev. Roland Johnson, Jr. three parcels of land were purchased.
The newly erected building is an ultra-modern worship center containing 16,000 square feet. The church sits on the same parcel of land as the previous facility along with additional parcels of land which were purchased as they became available. The new Trinity now faces a major thoroughfare ~ Thomas Boulevard. Trinity, a $2.2 million facility was designed to meet the needs of all ages as well as the community it serves. The easy access into the church is a special feature enjoyed by senior members as well as those physically challenged.
Lastly, a beautiful steeple mounted on the roof points high in the sky toward God to whom we give glory, and serves as a beacon of hope for all who pass by. This beautiful and modern structure was dedicated to the glory of God on September 30, 2007. This work was started and completed during the capable and dynamic leadership of Rev. Edward C. McKelvy.
We pause now to pay homage and respect to those servants of God who served us well as pastors. In the interest of accuracy, no dates nor length of service will be given, Rev. Gray, Rev. N. T. Walker (first term), Rev. Joe Rodgers, Rev. P. L. Jones, Rev. John Glenn, Rev. A. W. Carter, Rev. S. M. Adams, Rev. C. C. Townsend, Rev. C. A. Craig, Rev. J. W. Barnett, Rev. B. T. Strayhorne, Rev. E. R. Coleman, Rev. Broome, Rev. J. E. Taylor, Rev. G. A. Thomas, Rev. W. M. Gaines, Rev. R. L. Coleman, Rev. E. L. Strong, Rev. R. W. Spearman, Rev. W. H. Taylor, Rev. J. S. Blaine, Rev. W. A. Johnson, Rev. Jerome A. Foster, Rev. N. T. Walker (second term), Rev. P. Gonya Hentrel, Rev. Dewitt T. Alcorn, Rev. William Smith, Rev. Paul Fowlkes, Rev. Roland Long, Rev. Robert L. Douglass, Rev. J. O. Lowe, Rev. John H. Robinson, Rev. Eddie Jumper, Rev. Kenneth Carter, Rev. Edward McKelvy, Rev. Marandra C. Rivers, Rev. Roland Johnson, Jr., Rev. Charlton Johnson and our pastor~ Rev. Denise Anders-Modest.
“We’ve come a long way, Lord, A mighty long way,
We’ve come a long way, Lord, A mighty long way,
We’ve borne our burdens in the heat of the day,
But we know the Lord has made the way,
We’ve come a long way, Lord, A mighty long way.”
(September 23, 2012)